Monday, September 24, 2012

Class jobs

After reading this post, from Sunny Days in Second Grade, I started thinking about my own system in my class.  

I created this system when I returned to the classroom after being a Learning Assistance teacher for a few years.  I wanted the least amount of children moving around the classroom at a time in the shortest amount of time possible.  So I created Group Leaders.  My kids sit in a formation of 4 or 5, and their desk position and day of the week determines who is group leader.  Let me explain.  Mondays is always the person closest to the door, Tuesday is the person across from them, Wednesday is next to Tuesday and Thursday is across from Wednesday.  If there is only four in the group, then Monday gets 2 turns.  This doesn't seem to be a problem as my kids get moved around in groups and class fairly regularly.  Group leaders collect supplies, pass out papers and generally make my life easier. 
I also have person of the week.  The person is chosen on Friday for Monday, and is the line leader, takes the attendance to the office (when my online attendance is not working), and does other little jobs and errands for me.  
My job chart is sparse.  I don't have plants to water, a class pet to feed or anything like that.  I have 2 library people who need to take our books down in a big bin on library days, and straighten out the class library.  I have 2 people to take care of the recycling bins and make sure they are separated out properly.  I have 1 person to make sure the centers are put back properly and that there is enough materials in each bin on Fridays.  Everyone is responsible for their own chairs, floors and coat hooks.  Last year I had lots of very helpful kids and had to make up jobs for some of them as they were so desperate.  I am not good at changing the people at the main jobs and usually a change happens when someone reminds me that we haven't changed in a while!  This year I am going to try to be better about this, and have put it on my calendar to help remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment