Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Studying Light









When I first started looking at my next Science unit, I realized that Light and Sound are usually taught together.  I decided not to.  I pulled apart the two ideas and taught them separately which I think helped the kids really understand the topics better.  We started with sound, and I tied in music outcomes as well.  I brought in all the sad little instruments that my school had available and they explored with them.  They were not that surprised that I wanted them to make noise, my colleagues were a bit annoyed at first, but I asked for patience and I got it.  Mostly.  When they came in first thing, there were different sound activities for them to do, using instruments, and they had a blast.  As the week went on, I had little experiments that they duplicated or tried for themselves.  It was so fun to watch them connect what we were learning during Science time to what they were "playing with" during morning centers.  To finish the unit, we took an afternoon and did these explorations that I set up around the room.  They completed the activities with a partner and each completed a bit of writing or drawing to go with it.

When we moved to learning about Light, I followed the same procedure just changing out the activities for morning centers.  We have had many interruptions in the past few weeks, so we are still working on the Light, but so far they are having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment