Saturday, April 13, 2013

Math Centres

I'd been wanting to write about this for awhile, but it kept getting put on the back burner.  As I talked about before, I use centres for Math and Literacy in my classroom to reinforce concepts and allow me some time to work with small groups.  I wanted to talk about the math centres that I'm using right now.
I have been using a book called Math Tubs, by Creative Teaching Press.  It has little lessons on math concepts, but more importantly, has activities that you put together for centres.  There are four different activities for each concept that reinforce the lessons that they have.  I will sometimes leave the lessons for a TOC, as there is little prep, and very well written.  The activities come with an instruction card and an accountability sheet for the students which I include in the shoebox.  Each shoebox contains 4 pencils, the instructions, recording papers and any materials need for that activity.  When they finish the center, it goes back on the shelf and they choose another one, or move to another group that has space.  There are 4 people in each group so they are free to move around to different activities where there is room.

No comments:

Post a Comment