Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Flex Seating #2

So the students walked in on Monday morning and oohed and ahhed over everything.  I had talked to them about it the Friday before, but as little kids have a hard time remembering the recent past, they were still really surprised.  Some of the comments I heard were "It's so cool!"  "It feels so relaxing in here" "There's so much space!"  and lots of other positive stuff.  I was thrilled!  I let them explore for a few minutes and then I called a class meeting.  We talked about expectations and I ran through all the different options that they had to do work.  Moving around the classroom is not a problem for my kids, as I do a lot of center work and they know what to do and how to act during these times. 

When we moved to work spaces, it went much more smoothly that I imagined it would.  They quickly chose a spot and there was no arguing.  I had made it clear that everyone would get to try everything over the next couple of days.  Through the day I kept track of where people were and tried to make sure that they moved through all the options.  For the most part, it worked.  After the initial trial I didn't worry about it, as they moved themselves around easily and I only had to intervene with a couple of kiddos. 

Here's what it looked like in action:
In my next post, I'll talk about what I learned from the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment